Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Garden Diary: Slate

Today was another sunny, extraordinarily warm day in this month we expect to bring us nothing but dreary skies, ice and snow. I spent some time in the plantless, exposed garden site looking at colors. What I've realized after trying eight colors is that one dark color--called "Slate" by Behr--is fairly ubiquitous in the surrounding environment. It's almost the same color as the expanse of windows and doors opening onto the garden, and it's present all around, in the iron work on numerous houses, railings, window frames, telephone and cable lines, telephone poles, and most prominently, in the dark shadows cast by the bright overhead sun.

I've found my color.


You can see it in the dark windows against the white wall below, in the wires and cables stretching to the backs of the houses, in the shadows and the ironwork balcony on the right. "Slate" is no. 376, second from the right on the wall.


I had a strong preference for the gray (518) earlier in this process. That color is much less blue than it appears in the photo, tending toward taupe. But I think the Slate resonates with the environment, and I do think it will work well with the plants, especially after some green vines attach themselves to the wall.

Below you can also see how the darker color takes on a grayness when sunlight strikes it at a certain angle. That grayish reflective surface, changing with the light, will make for a satisfying background to the plants, and add richness and depth.


I bought the Slate stain this afternoon and expect the contractor to have the walls painted soon, though the forecast for rain tomorrow may delay that. I'm hoping the warm weather continues for a while so this can be finished.

For what it's worth, below are the three new colors I tried earlier this week:  Forest from Behr, Jasper and Charleston Green from Sherwin Williams. Forest looks very olive, much more so than you can see in the photo. Both Jasper and Charleston Green appear to have a lot of blue in the photo, but they don't.

Without first trying these colors, I don't think I'd have been ready to choose Slate. But when I looked at the array of colors this morning, and at the surroundings (not lovely but with their own color palette), the decision was immediate.


On another subject, but related because it does illustrate how important shadow will be in this little garden, I'm thinking of using this old, cracked, round fountain as a planter. I originally thought it would be inappropriate, but it may work if planted with mosses, small ferns, and other things. Most of it will disappear. I may need to pump a trickle of water to keep it moist. Just an idea. We'll see ...


By the way, that motion-activated security light over the center of the doorway is coming down. It's supposed to be off to the side, as invisible as possible.


And looking away from the house, the back of the garden badly needs a point of focus, a feature to draw the eye. Something on axis and with height. I have an idea I'm working on. Saint-Gaudens used a similar concept for a focal point in his garden in Cornish, New Hampshire (not that I'm claiming his robe, but one can imitate a good idea when it comes freely, no?).

Below, where I'm standing, not a doorway, but a portal of sorts.


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We move forward from here, perhaps into unknown territory, perhaps serendipity.

      Delete
  2. I agree that the dark brown color combines very well with plants. But at the same time it makes the room appear as smaller, the walls come closer together, compared to a lighter color, but that is perhaps the intention.

    It's a good idea to fill the cracked fountain with mosses and ferns. It will give it a cool look, I think.

    How will the creation of the center be used? A formal pond?

    Good luck from Peter!

    http://biotopedesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,

      By making the room seem smaller, I hope it will be given a sense of security and privacy. New York is now firmly in zone 7 and I also hope the warming from the dark walls will advance the season for me. (In contrast, my garden in the country is zone 6, and a cold zone 6. Plants tend to come up very late. I'm happy to hear you like the reuse of the cracked fountain. I haven't decided on how to use the pond in the center. It will have moving water, probably a gentle jet, but not too high. I imagine I'll not be able to prevent myself using aquatic plants of some kind, though the idea of austerity is appealing.

      Delete
  3. In life, I imagine I would call that colour charcoal. The drama of black, but without the fierce teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to put it. I love "the drama of black, but without the fierce teeth."

      Delete
  4. Yes to the slate. Curiously, we have used in our very different environment a similar colour called ironsand. For the Roof, window joinery and the iron pergola.
    http://www.resene.co.nz/swatches/preview.php?chart=COLORSTEEL%26reg%3B&brand=COLORSTEEL%26reg%3B&name=Ironsand
    Identifiying the slate as the local colourpoint is very clever.
    I really like the look of the old fountain as well. From the photos, I am finding it hard to figure out just what size it is. But it's good. Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, I forgot to mention the obvious connection with the color of trees in winter. Is Ironsand a loval stone or just a color? The old fountain is about three feet in diameter, I'd guess, and 8 or 9 inches deep.

      Delete
  5. I like the connection you're made with all the lines (very graphic) within view. (I'm also going to pin this post so I can find it next time I have to deal with fence color.) Also, because your pond is rather deep, I'm interested to see what qualities that will give to the water color, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think in time slate will end up being nothing.
    And 'nothing' is precisely wot u need!
    Great end to search, James.
    Best
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, I do like the way you put it. I seek free professional advice wherever I can find it.

      Delete
  7. Cindy, I found had been discounting the colors of the parts of the surroundings one doesn't normally consider "pretty." Once I realized that, I found the slate color everywhere. In addition, slate is a common, and historic, material in Brooklyn 19th century neighborhoods (all sidewalks are slate). I also like the connection with shadow. Because we get only midday sun, there are moving pockets of deep shadow throughout the day. I too wonder what the pool depth will do the the appearance of the water. I've thought of painting the interior of the pool black, slate, or perhaps even a very deep, dark blue. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James,
    I would like to nominate you for a Liebster Blog Award. I hope you haven't already gotten one! Check out my blog for details. Thanks, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,

      Thanks for the nomination, but my neighbor Michael has, I see, nominated me too. I hope this doesn't mean I have to nominate ten other blogs!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jim,

    I like your color choice and agree that, as a background, it is going to give beautiful depth to your garden as well as allow for certain colors to really pop. I'm intrigued by your use of the fountain as a planter. Have you considered sedum? So many varieties and they can keep without constant watering if that is a concern. Just an idea...

    Looks like things are moving along swimmingly!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Michael. I found sedum growing in a wet area at Federal Twist and used it as a temporary ground cover in another area. I've been surprised how well it does in wet ground. I had expected it to want dry ground. Though one sedum is not all sedums.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jim,

    I know Michael at The Gardener's Eye already nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award, but I feel I need to do the same! Great minds think alike....oh....and both our names are Michael! Please visit my blog and read about your award!

    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. I'll try to abide by the terms of the award. Five other blogs? Now let's see. You've already chosen one of my potential awardees!

      Delete
  11. Slate! I don't think I can describe that choice nearly as elegantly as Diana at Elephant's Eye, so I shall just say: "Go, James!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think any of us can come close to Diana's superb description. Thanks, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails