Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Moving to WordPress


After six years with Blogger, I'm having serious technical problems and I'm no techie. Perhaps Blogger bogs down after several years of use?

I've decided to move View from Federal Twist to WordPress.

I'll provide a new address within the next few weeks. Meanwhile, posts will continue here, and the old blog will remain accessible.

Now, a poem on imaginary gardens with real toads in them:



Poetry

     I, too, dislike it: there are things that are important beyond all this fiddle.
       Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one discovers in
       it after all, a place for the genuine.
         Hands that can grasp, eyes
           that can dilate, hair that can rise
           if it must, these things are important not because a
     high-sounding interpretation can be put upon them but because they are
         useful. When they become so derivative as to become unintelligible,
         the same thing may be said for all of us, that we
               do not admire what
            we cannot understand: the bat
               holding on upside down or in quest of something to

     eat, elephants pushing, a wild horse taking a roll, a tireless wolf under
       a tree, the immovable critic twitching his skin like a horse that feels a flea, the base-
          ball fan, the statistician --
         nor is it valid
             to discriminate against 'business documents and school-books';
     all these phenomena are important. One must make a distinction
       however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry,
           nor till the poets among us can be
         'literalists of the imagination'-- above
           insolence and triviality and can present

     for inspection, 'imaginary gardens with real toads in them,' shall we have
       it. In the meantime, if you demand on the one hand,
       the raw material of poetry in
         all its rawness and
         that which is on the other hand
           genuine, you are interested in poetry.

 - Marianne Moore

12 comments:

  1. I'm on wordpress and love it. I know others have transferred and I think it takes a day or two.

    Thanks for your comment about my 5th blogaversay. I think you are right we should have an oldies group - maybe we should have a special badge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transferring old posts, especially with many photos as I have, seems to take a great deal of time, so I'm transferring very few. And the comments are lost, which in many cases I value more than the posts. But so it goes. Having that backlog of almost 400 posts makes it hard to move to a new platform, but life goes on.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting the Marianne Moore poem. And Wallace Stevens' Anecdote of the Jar. Great poetry helps me see my garden with clearer eyes. Is this true for you too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd approach it in a different way. For me, gardenmaking is something like poetry. I'm not at all sure how to express it, but they both tug at some deep inner "organ of feeling." Your question elicits some unease because I'm not at present able to articulate a clear answer.

      Delete
    2. Seems to me that easy answers are just that -- easy. Clear isn't easy. Personally I like uneasiness and uncertainly. they make me question my own assumptions.

      I've just read the post about burning, with photos of the new pool. I like the straight edging very much and look forward to seeing the progress.

      Do you ever speak to gardening groups?

      Delete
    3. I agree. Clear isn't easy. I'm much happier with the straight edging, but I still have some changes to make. The gravel needs to be leveled, and that may require addition of a step back to the entry from the house to drop the level and allow the pool area to be completely flat. I also want to stain (perhaps) the pool coping to get a color closer to the native stone. I'm sure other things too. Yes. I've spoken to gardening groups.

      Delete
  3. I don't envy your task, to be sure! It seems like Blogger just starts to act up every few months, doesn't it...good luck with the transfer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears that some Internet database has identified my blog as spammy. I can't post anything from it to facebook, and I don't know what other problems it may be causing. Facebook won't help, Blogger won't help, so I have to move. No way can I move close to 400 posts, so it's kind of like starting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are moving to a self-hosted wordpress site, you can move everything, including subscribers, comments, etc., and it doesn't take forever either. Sadly it doesn't work if you are moving to wordpress.com...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hosting it on GoDaddy. Not sure whether that's "self-hosting" or not. I paid for GoDaddy to host it because they take care of my domain name.

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's "self-hosted", but if you have a pro setting up your site for you already, they will know how to do this if you want it done. There are lots of guides out there, but they tend to be written by geeks for geeks... Good luck!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails