Pages

Monday, July 02, 2012

Queen of the Prairie



Queen of the Prairie they call it. Filipendula rubra 'Venusta.' It reached full bloom on July 1 and, though I can't say its blossoms are my favorite color--I generally dislike pink, especially pink of this intensity--it makes a statement and marks the beginning of high summer in my garden.


In a couple of weeks the pinks will fade to a subtle coppery color, much more appropriate to the surrounding plantings, as the tall yellow perennials come into bloom--Rudbeckia maxima, Rudbeckia nitida 'Herbstsonne', Silphium perfoliatum, Silphium lanciniatum, Silphium terebinthinaceum, Inula racemosa 'Sonnenspeer'.



Much more to my liking ...  Pontederia cordata, pickerelweed, in the pond.


3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of all your Rudbeckia maxima, which is one of my favorite plants (also R. nitida). Have you tried Persicaria amplexicaulis with wine-colored flowers (like 'Firedance')? It might take the edge off the pink Filipendula. A few plants cover a lot of space and it blooms until frost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it in the garden but it can't survive in my growing conditions. I'm very fond of that plant and have it in front of the house, where it's in a much more well drained position. I like your suggestion, and maybe I'll see if conditions have changed in the main garden after several years of growing perennials in the heavy, wet clay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the soft pink. I wish I could grow them but don't have the space or enough moisture.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails