Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Plants for wet clay: Rudbeckia nitida 'Herbstsonne'


This rudbeckia is one of the most successful perennials in my unimproved wet clay. In my last garden in Rosemont, I banned yellow. Here, on Federal Twist Road, with a dark background of forest trees, the yellow brings much needed color and light. This plant thrives in partial shade, without any need for staking, while rising to heights of eight to ten feet. It has a great mop of flowers, and good looking, disease free foliage, year after year. And look at the marvelous seed cones (click photo for a closeup).

4 comments:

  1. Banning yellow - oh, that would be hard for me to pull off.

    Les @ atidewatergardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les, what can I say. It didn't seem appropriate in that sunny, open garden. But here at Federal Twist, it's essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased this on close out--last plant--from a local nursery! Woo hoo! Glad to hear it adores clay.

    An I ban pink. At least, bright pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benjamin,
    And on your recommendation, I just ordered three Eric's Big Blue, now that I know this is a cultivar of aster puniceus (sp?), which likes the wet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails