Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Garden Diary: Must add more Asters


More plants for wet clay. Clockwise from left: Miscanthus purpurescens, Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem', New England Aster (Aster novae-angliae), Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium maculatum 'Gateway'), Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum muticum), Siberian iris with their beautiful dried seed pods.

Okay, the Aster is no longer an Aster. I haven't got the new names down yet. This is the only one remaining from plugs I put out three years ago, and I need more for their color this time of year. I hope to get new ones in the spring and grow them on in pots until they're big enough to survive the rigors of my garden.

These plants all thrive in my wet clay, though this end of the garden is drier than the rest; a layer of broken rock below the surface (it's part of the septic system leaching field) improves the drainage .

4 comments:

  1. James, I've enjoyed the progress through the seasons this year...a wonderful garden, I want to get lost in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a couple 'Eric's Big Blue' on the way. And big leaf asters. From Lazy S's Farm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin, I don't know Eric's Big Blue. Now I have to google a photo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails