These are the rules. You have to first list 10 honest things about yourself (and make them interesting). Second, present the award to seven other bloggers. I've been dreading this moment. In the interest of collegiality among garden bloggers and--just to see what I'll say since I don't know myself--I'll give it a try. Here goes ...
Ten Pieces of Honest Scrap about Me
- I grew up in Mississippi, descendant of generations of poor farmers who made their ways from Maine and Virginia over 300 years to the deep South, but I didn't become conscious of my own love of gardens and plants until I moved to ultra urban New York City at age 25.
- I want to live in Italy (who doesn't?).
- I'm unnaturally excited by good garden books by good writers--Noel Kingsbury (with and without Piet Oudolf), Rick Darke, Tim Richardson, Dan Pearson, John Brooks, etc.--and when I get them, read them three or four times, then refer to them forever.
- No, I'm NOT an anglophile, I just find the UK gardening culture richer, and more serious, than our own, which tends to be driven by a "how to" mentality. I know mine is an unpopular position in the US.
- I think the great American lawn is an environmental horror.
- I always have a novel at hand, mainly for reading at bed time, something to take me away from the circling thoughts about work and the cares of the day. P.D. James right now. Before that, Richard Ford's The Lay of the Land.
- No one at my job--marketing in a large engineering/architecture firm--understands at all what a garden is. Well, few, if any.
- I'm firmly committed to gardening with a sense of place, using only plants that are suited to existing conditions. That's a hard game to play, especially where I garden, in a soggy, wet clay.
- I like just about any movie starring Anthony Hopkins.
- I'm gay and married to the same man for 36 years, and maddened that we don't have the civil rights the rest of US citizens do. We got married in Canada after 30 years together.
Les at A Tidewater Gardener
Benjamin at The Deep Middle
Elizabethm at Welsh Hills Again
Susan at The Bike Garden
Nigel at SILVERTREEDAYS
Phillip at Dirt Therapy
Craig at Ellis Hollow
If you want to play, just list ten things about yourself, then tag seven other bloggers.