Pages

Monday, November 02, 2009

Garden Diary: October 24, a Day of Misting Rain

The diminished color of this season is fading fast. All the trees will soon be bare.


The sitting area overlooking the garden, leaf-strewn now. Kiringeshoma palmata, on right, is still green.


Moving out into the garden, which is starting to fall apart ...



Rain drops on lens ... wider views of a sea of vegetative wildness ...




I've always liked the leaden brown of dying Joe Pye Weed (left).

Aster tartaricus 'Jin Dai' (foreground above) is dwarfed by the wet clay environment, but it survives and even increases, adding late color, which isn't really visible in this photo.

A 'legacy' virburnum I cut down during the mass tree clearing almost five years ago, recovering now, and to be a small tree in years to come. Panicum 'Shenandoah', a favorite grass, beside it.


More Shenandoah, a Panicum 'Cloud Nine' behind.

More Shenandoah, blowzy Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerester' behind.

Eryngium yuccafolium - I planted several in a holding bed so they could grow to size before I place them out in their permanent locations. Now they've gotten so large, I'm afraid moving them will kill them.

View back toward the house.


Japanese fan tail willow (Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka') is holding its green very late, perhaps because it comes from extreme northern Japan.

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. If I had that much fall color all around, I'd try to spend as much time outdoors as was humanly possible.

    Oh wait. I do that already. Well, I'd have to try even harder, I suppose, because your garden is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diminished color? How about differently hued or alternately palletted. There is nothing diminutive about the color in your garden, and I love the Eryngium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, Thanks. Maybe I'm rushing the season (winter) and not "smelling the roses" or - probably more appropriately - breathing the sweet must of fermenting leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les, I'll take differently hued; you can have alternately palletted:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning display of color - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phillip, Thanks. Color certainly remains. I think I'm in a period of Zone envy. Give me a little Zone 7 or 8 so I can look forward to short winters like I had growing up in Mississippi. I do have two camelias near the house but I'm not sure they'll ever approach the vigor of your southern ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah you've got Autumn just right. Grasses just carry it through.

    I enlarged many of the pics.

    Love the Eryngium yuccafolium by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James, these shots were savored well before swallowing. I'm with Les, diminished color? Not here. A well planted garden. The E. yuccafolium had me drooling a pool on the keyboard. The Panicums are so golden. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rob,thanks for the visit. I'm hoping I can successfully move those Eryngium in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Frances - I hope they didn't give you indigestion :) Yes, the grasses are beautiful in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the beautiful pictures. I'm from Australia and I visited Wigandia on the weekend. While looking at that website and followed the links to your site and I am so glad I did. I loved your comments about death etc and agree totally with them.
    I am busy planning my garden - it is a dusty paddock at the moment - we plan to build in the country so that all of these magnificent gardens are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aussiechris,
    If you're planning a garden in a dry site in Australia, I don't see how you could bo better that use William Martin's garden as an exemplar. I've never seen the real thing, never having traveled to Australia, but I follow it in photographs and publications. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am he and we are you and we are all together..(I think I got that right!!)
    I just have to say that a simple equation for All SITES is at any-one's command if the garden maker takes the time to look around their given locality and to buy decent plant reference books..no amount of 'gloss' publications will ever provide the knowledge that one requires to plant a garden. In my humble opinion most gardens fail because the garden makers do not understand the ingredients they are working with..Just think about cooking..can you make something decent without that understanding?
    Love all your 'grassy' snaps Jim..I reckon a garden without grasses (not the mown variety) is stiff and lifeless..if I ever make another garden grasses will most definitely be the main squeeze!!
    Martin of the overthrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always look forward to a marauding visit from Martin of the Overthrow ... and I agree completely with your recipe for a successful garden.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails