Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

High Line at Night


We visited the High Line last night - not the way I hoped to see it for the first time, but it was a revelation none-the-less. Crowds of strollers, visitors in twos and threes, groups, loungers. The lighting even made it possible to enjoy some of Piet Oudolf's low plantings. But the big surprise was the mass plantings of Prairie Dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepis), which invisibly perfumed the air with a unique fragrance for several hundred feet - like a silent message in the dark. Like an unexpected gift.

5 comments:

  1. What a treat, seeing the plantings in action, with people and strollers yet, of Oudolf sounds divine. The lighting looks very romantic too. :-)

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got home tonight to catch the tail end of NBC news, and they had a teaser about the last story concerning the High Line. I thought, at last here is a gardening story on the national news. However, it was about the people in the hotel you have pictured not closing the drapes (unintentionally or not) when they were undressing, just walking around nude or having sex - and the High Line was the perfect place to see all that going on. I was so hoping it was going to be about new trends in gardening.

    Les @ atidewatergardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop teasing me with Prairie Dropseed! Ok, ok, I only have 7, so I'll go buy some more! I love it!

    And, uh, Les, did they catch you in the hotel then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard the stories of various incidents of exhibitionism in the hotel and surrounding apartments. Some of it has to be urban folklore but I'm sure some is real. The High Line itself is a beautiful piece of work - even though I have been a supporter and fan, I have to say it far exceeds my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only three Prairie Dropseed, so you're way ahead of me. I wonder what those strollers on the High Line imagine that odor to be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails